Even mild depression can significantly impact your ability to experience joy and satisfaction in life.
Often accompanied by a feeling of powerlessness and/or being stuck, many adults experience depression at some point in their lives.
Some Common Symptoms of Depression:
- Loss of interest in your usual activities
- Isolating yourself from your friends or usual supports
- Low energy or abnormal sleeping patterns
- Loss of appetite or unexplained weight loss or gain
- Unexplained aches and pains
- Feeling like you’re moving in slow motion
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- Feelings of worthlessness, or that life is not worth living
The test below can help you determine the level of help you may need. Please note that Severe Depression merits medical attention to get your symptoms under control enough (and to help you get out of crisis) for you to benefit from therapy: an online quiz can only help sufferers identify which symptoms they may be experiencing, and to what degree, and should not be construed as medical advice.
Resources – if you think you may have Depression
For more information:
- Canadian Mental Health Association: Understanding Mental Illness
- Here to Help (BC): Mental Health and Substance Use Information You Can Trust
(These organizations are outside of Open Hearth Studio, and Frances Bryant-Scott makes no claims for their accuracy and cannot guarantee that these sites will be available at all times, or at all.)
If you are in crisis right now: Call the Vancouver Island Crisis Line at 1-888-494-3888, go to your nearest emergency room, or call 911.
Dealing with Depression:
If you suspect you may have depression, or have been diagnosed with it, I am happy to work together with you and your doctor to help you combat your symptoms. Acknowledging that something needs to change in your life can be difficult, but the rewards can be great.
When words aren’t enough, Art Therapy is an effective way to explore your needs and resources on your healing journey.
Take a step towards mental health, phone: 250 595 0504